99fiction.net

Hey!! What's the story?

We're looking for your thoughts and experiences on whether writing has a positive effect on your mood.

Do you need to set targets, minimum time or words to achieve a positive effect and does a failure to meet your target result in a negative effect? 

Does a good mood equate to good writing?

Happy writing!!

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jem, good question! As a professional writer for more than 30 years, I need writing as I need air! Although I teach full time, I try to craft words as much as possible! I'm finishing my 3rd book an erotic tale, after my first two books Shadow-psychological/horror which has been compared to Poe/King https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18045686-shadow & Micro Musings romantic/erotic/humor/horror micro-poetry! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/321668

I don't set targets, sometimes I may only fashion a handful of words, but even that gives some satisfaction, rather than having set goals and then inviting a negative feeling if I fail to meet those goals!

In terms of mental state, I feel it depends on which particular genre you may be writing in. I write across many-fantasy/erotic/romantic/horror/noir & poetry, so would argue that a dark mood may assist in the more gloomy genres!

'Writing' is too general a category to define how my mood is affected. Writing for work involves pressure, guilt, angst, dissatisfaction with the result mingled with relief at meeting a deadline. Writing for myself is amazing. Just starting a story sends my mind in so many new directions I have to write down the ideas for later development. I get such a high from that kind of writing.   

Always! Believe it elevates it to intensity though I tend to get lost in the words and concentrate becoming part of the character or story.

But, after writing a bit, it makes you feel as though you have accomplished something and that feels so very, very good.

Does writing elevate my mood? Wow, that's a good one. My first novel gave me nightmares. Becoming the tormentor and the tormentee...that's very scary to me. I'm glad that series is already written. I couldn't do it again. It will be published soon after it gets edited. People that have read my series look at me, and say, "How and the hell did you write this?"

To be honest i been writing for an year and mood is really important when writing and also in reading cause it make's you're writing really something unexplain. in Helsinki before i used to write i also used to be an project manager at http://www.sematgroup.com/ and having a bad mood make's everything ruin but in good mood everything is always goes well.

If my words can affect me, then I'm confident they can affect other people. And that's when writing gets exciting and can really raise my spirits. 

I don't often define targets. I'm happy so long as I have an idea in my head.

I found writing allowed me to get some emotion or stress out that I had bottled up inside me.  I guess that's why some of my writing can be pretty dark, but I always get up feeling rejuvenated and happy because of it.  Strangely though, once I tried to do writing as a profession, that became a hard feeling to achieve.  Whenever I try writing for profit, I feel constrained by things like word count and time, and unfortunately it loses some of the joy in it.  My best writing comes when I'm not trying, when I'm just looking to get something out and that's when I'm at my happiness.  Hopefully some day I'll learn how to not let business taint my work and my mood.

Writing, I think, is a release and an escape. It elevates my mood but it is also frustrating when I can't get the plot to flow or something you love is rejected over and over. I write every day but not a set amount and I try to submit weekly. See Write1 Sub1 it's another great, supportive site. The more you write the better you get and the better you feel!

Writing is an elixir.  Like all creative and analytical activities, it requires prolonged attention.  Cycles of writing have associated moods, and the topic is complex because cycles differ according to the type of writing. Let's take the chess analogy, which is imperfect but will serve.  Getting into a play, a story or a poem can be as engaging as the opening move of a chess game.  The work takes hold in what you might think of as a middle game.  Endings will vary depending on the way the work is heading.  But the end must be conclusive for you, the story and the reader.  In chess, the game's end can be foreseen a few moves from Check Mate, and sometimes you have concessions.  Two other things must be added.  (1) Good writing is all about rewriting. When the preliminary draft cycle has concluded, the next game is the savage, self-critical review.  (2)  Writing must find an audience.  This can take a long search for the right home, and it may involve rewriting as in (1). 

I've always loved reading and writing. Since a mental breakdown a couple of years ago I've been using writing as a form of healing.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at reading yet (attention span, wandering mind and inability to remember a paragraph earlier is making it very difficult). I don't think I've read a book in two years. But with writing it's different - like a play in my head that I can pick up and put down.

When I started writing I was lucky to write 100 words in a day - and that was me sat at the laptop for twelve hours. Now I try to write at least 500 words a day. More often it climbs above this to 800-1,000 but I'm not pushing myself too hard to improve at the moment. If I don't write I feel like I've missed something really important to me; very empty and dark. When I do write I feel accomplished, happy and like I'm moving in the right direction (mental health wise).

Definitely improves my mood :))

What is strange though is I can't remember a lot of what I've written - so editing is weird and difficult because it is back to that reading thing again...

It will be nice when the reading thing fixes itself *fingers crossed*

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Quirky social network for writers and creators. Try our free fiction competitions. Hey!! What's the story?

Forum

Who Do You Show Your Stories To?

Started by Daniel Hale in Sample Title. Last reply by Mary Chandler Nov 9, 2015. 3 Replies

I'm still working at the story-a-week thing, and keeping up with it so far. One thing I'm wondering is who I should show them to to get feedback. Some of these I want to put in the novel/collection…Continue

A Formatting Question-- How would you...?

Started by Angie_Fayre in Uncategorized Sep 2, 2015. 0 Replies

Okay, I know that there are about 3 instances where you'd regularly use italics in fiction: showing foreign/made-up goblidigoober words, "indicating mental thoughts" and putting stress on words being…Continue

Publishing Percentages!

Started by Naomi Rawle in Sample Title. Last reply by Gia Lee Jul 19, 2015. 3 Replies

Do you send everything you complete off for publication? What's your written/submitted ratio like? What do you consider a successful percentage? Or do you go for quality over quantity! (I mean…Continue

Tags: publication, deal, percentage

New works: published and otherwise.

Started by Zachary T. Owen in Sample Title. Last reply by Naomi Rawle Mar 27, 2015. 4 Replies

What stories/books/poems/novels have you recently completed or had published?I'll go first:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvvPFBisAA^This…Continue

Blog Posts

Title Advice?

Posted by Daniel Hale on December 14, 2015 at 18:29 0 Comments

I just completed, as near as I can tell, my first book: a collection stories disguised as a novel. I do currently have a working title that I was initially happy with, BUT it may now be too obscure or inapplicable.

The title as it is now is "The Psalterdemalion." This is a combination of two of my favorite words: Psalter, which is a small book of psalms, and Tatterdemalion, which is a man dressed in multicolored rags and tatters. My thinking was that the man character, a story thief,…

Continue

A Memory Resides In Soho

Posted by Ronnie Capaldi on November 24, 2015 at 21:06 0 Comments

A Memory Resides In Soho

On the 1st August 2015 a special night had arrived for seventy-five year old Robert Harris and his seventy-two year old wife Barbara.  Robert was nattily dressed in a blue suit and Barbara looked elegant in a long flowing…

Continue

Final Stretch for my First Project

Posted by Daniel Hale on November 16, 2015 at 2:41 0 Comments

So I've got my stories together for my first collection, and am currently working on the connecting narrative. I haven't even thought yet how I'm gonna get this published. Gotta start thinking what I need to do. 

Premonition

Posted by Ronnie Capaldi on November 12, 2015 at 17:40 0 Comments

Premonition

Mark stood on a sea cliff top. A wave below roared in and sprayed out a ferocious impact. Its retreat left a glistening carpet of foamy shale. To his left, a slender figured girl appeared, dressed only in a skimpy black nightie. Her blonde…

Continue

© 2017   Created by Jem (Admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service