99fiction.net

Hey!! What's the story?

Hi Friends. Ok, so my first novel is done and dusted and has left the nest. Like a firstborn it was lovingly poured over and nurtured in a most unreasonable, neurotic manner, but the result was pleasing despite the time it took! I am currently writing my second book with the "second born child" approach, more chilled, more experienced. But, how long can it? Will it? Does it? Take to produce a work of equal length and content? I've heard 3 weeks. I've heard 3 years. How's it been for you guys?

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't tell you anything from experience, being I'm still working on my first full-length work.  But, from what I've read, writing times all depend on the writer and/or their circumstances.  Some people write really fast.  They microwave and garnish a salable product in a matter of weeks.  Then repeat.  Others prefer their oven-writing.  Still others couldn't live without their crock pot methods.  Sometimes a writer's life is just too busy for microwave-writing, even if that's the way they'd prefer it.  Sometimes it's the bills, or the readers, or the publishing deadlines that dictate writing terms.  It all depends.

However, I've also read. . . somewhere, that a good averaging time for completing books (at least, in series) is somewhere around 7-18 months.  It gives a bit of time for marketing and selling of the first book before the next hits the market and floods it out.  The time-frame can depend on how well the first book is doing and the author's plans for it.  From what I've read.  Like I've said, though, I can't say these things from experience, since I'm still working on my first (and it appears I'm one of the oven-writers).

Exactly - it can take a very long time, or you could have the gift of speed/being prolific and finish it in just a few weeks. It's really down to the individual. It could be the editing/rewriting that takes a while - but some folks that could mean a few weeks or (in my case), more years than I want to think about. Massive rewrites are the bane of my existence. :) The kernel of my story I like, but execution needs some work! First or second novel, I really think it depends on the person and their stamina.

Happy writing!!

if all goes well a little 60,000 word novel (novella?) should be done in 18 months... keeping to a routine... but if I want to improve on it still after 18 months (which could happen! Definitely!)... an indiscriminate length of time awaits!!

I write with a co-author. We started work on a series in 2007 and to date have written 1.7 million words in 14 books. That's an average of 130,000 words per book and 2.3 books per year or 65,000 words each and 1.15 books each.

Thanks Angie.  I think "in the oven" is a very good way to describe the way I'm going with the next one.  I'm a girl with all fingers in all pies and this pie is definitely fruity and a slow cooker!!

Angie_Fayre said:

I can't tell you anything from experience, being I'm still working on my first full-length work.  But, from what I've read, writing times all depend on the writer and/or their circumstances.  Some people write really fast.  They microwave and garnish a salable product in a matter of weeks.  Then repeat.  Others prefer their oven-writing.  Still others couldn't live without their crock pot methods.  Sometimes a writer's life is just too busy for microwave-writing, even if that's the way they'd prefer it.  Sometimes it's the bills, or the readers, or the publishing deadlines that dictate writing terms.  It all depends.

However, I've also read. . . somewhere, that a good averaging time for completing books (at least, in series) is somewhere around 7-18 months.  It gives a bit of time for marketing and selling of the first book before the next hits the market and floods it out.  The time-frame can depend on how well the first book is doing and the author's plans for it.  From what I've read.  Like I've said, though, I can't say these things from experience, since I'm still working on my first (and it appears I'm one of the oven-writers).

I think a big part of it what kind of word count somebody is aiming for and what kind of story they are trying to tell. For me, the more fantastical a story, the more quickly I can write it, but as soon as I have to examine real life issues things become slower--I have to do research, feel more emotionally drained etc.

Hi Zachary, Yes, there must be a lot more freedom in fantasy - the imagination and the pen must flow as equally fast as one another!  However, all fiction must be be fantastical in some way, for example I write about imaginary situations but, I suppose it all comes from a "real life" point of view, no matter how ludicrous or unlikely the antics of my characters' are!  My first book took nearly three years.  I admit that it was interrupted by two house moves over the course of 18 months, but despite that, i really wanted real life predicaments to take place in the story and this is what got me thinking the longest.

Zachary T. Owen said:

I think a big part of it what kind of word count somebody is aiming for and what kind of story they are trying to tell. For me, the more fantastical a story, the more quickly I can write it, but as soon as I have to examine real life issues things become slower--I have to do research, feel more emotionally drained etc.

Hi Anna, nice to meet you here! Your question is really one which has no single answer, as it depends on a variety of factors, including the particular genre you are writing in, the amount of research, you may be working to a deadline, there may be numerous personal/domestic obstacles which simply prevent you from devoting as much time to the crafting of your novel as you wish. I am a qualified teacher and teach full time, so fit my writing in around that!

My 3rd book is an erotic tale and it has thus far taken me around 9 months to write, Its almost finished and there is the old joke which says from conception to birth usually occupies around that same time span and indeed you make reference to your own work as a child.

I must confess, as a professional/journalist/editor for more than 30 years, I tend to the fashioning of articles/features etc as quickly as possible, while never neglecting the attention to detail and trying to ensure the particular piece is readable etc!

Hope second book going well! :-)

My first book is Shadow-psychological/horror/mystery, my short story has already been compared to Poe/King, which is great, as they are two of my favorite writers! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18045686-shadow

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-ebook/dp/B00CO9UF3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=boo...

It took me about 40 days to write my novella, but it was all existing stories I had previously written. I just tied them all together with another story. Of course I had nothing but time on my hands, so I really stayed focused and let it pour forth.

One took about three months. The current book is still being written and has taken over a year. I write as often as possible but with work and the show and all that entails, I must 'make' time for my own writing. I also believe it is what type of writer you are. I cannot write unless I am in a certain frame of mind - usually engrossed with the characters yet some people are able to sit down and continue on their novel or novella without blinking an eye.

Hi Anna,

My first novel took me around 3 months to write but the idea had already been born nearly 20 years before in my first attempt at the same story aged 19!! Now I have started the second it seems easier but I have set myself the target of finishing and publishing for Christmas sales. Whether I stick to my deadline is another story but I'm going to try. x

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Quirky social network for writers and creators. Try our free fiction competitions. Hey!! What's the story?

Forum

Who Do You Show Your Stories To?

Started by Daniel Hale in Sample Title. Last reply by Mary Chandler Nov 9, 2015. 3 Replies

I'm still working at the story-a-week thing, and keeping up with it so far. One thing I'm wondering is who I should show them to to get feedback. Some of these I want to put in the novel/collection…Continue

A Formatting Question-- How would you...?

Started by Angie_Fayre in Uncategorized Sep 2, 2015. 0 Replies

Okay, I know that there are about 3 instances where you'd regularly use italics in fiction: showing foreign/made-up goblidigoober words, "indicating mental thoughts" and putting stress on words being…Continue

Publishing Percentages!

Started by Naomi Rawle in Sample Title. Last reply by Gia Lee Jul 19, 2015. 3 Replies

Do you send everything you complete off for publication? What's your written/submitted ratio like? What do you consider a successful percentage? Or do you go for quality over quantity! (I mean…Continue

Tags: publication, deal, percentage

New works: published and otherwise.

Started by Zachary T. Owen in Sample Title. Last reply by Naomi Rawle Mar 27, 2015. 4 Replies

What stories/books/poems/novels have you recently completed or had published?I'll go first:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvvPFBisAA^This…Continue

Blog Posts

Title Advice?

Posted by Daniel Hale on December 14, 2015 at 18:29 0 Comments

I just completed, as near as I can tell, my first book: a collection stories disguised as a novel. I do currently have a working title that I was initially happy with, BUT it may now be too obscure or inapplicable.

The title as it is now is "The Psalterdemalion." This is a combination of two of my favorite words: Psalter, which is a small book of psalms, and Tatterdemalion, which is a man dressed in multicolored rags and tatters. My thinking was that the man character, a story thief,…

Continue

A Memory Resides In Soho

Posted by Ronnie Capaldi on November 24, 2015 at 21:06 0 Comments

A Memory Resides In Soho

On the 1st August 2015 a special night had arrived for seventy-five year old Robert Harris and his seventy-two year old wife Barbara.  Robert was nattily dressed in a blue suit and Barbara looked elegant in a long flowing…

Continue

Final Stretch for my First Project

Posted by Daniel Hale on November 16, 2015 at 2:41 0 Comments

So I've got my stories together for my first collection, and am currently working on the connecting narrative. I haven't even thought yet how I'm gonna get this published. Gotta start thinking what I need to do. 

Premonition

Posted by Ronnie Capaldi on November 12, 2015 at 17:40 0 Comments

Premonition

Mark stood on a sea cliff top. A wave below roared in and sprayed out a ferocious impact. Its retreat left a glistening carpet of foamy shale. To his left, a slender figured girl appeared, dressed only in a skimpy black nightie. Her blonde…

Continue

© 2018   Created by Jem (Admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service